Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reading Meme Part 2

Most inspirational book read this year – again, I’d say Unfinished Business. It makes you think about who you need to reconcile with; what you need to fix; who you need to thank or encourage.

Favorite reading snack – if I’m being indulgent, it would be chips & soda. But I rarely get to do that.

How often do you agree with critics – I read book reviews to generate a to-read list. And I usually like the books on my to-read list, so I guess I generally agree with them.

How do you feel about giving negative reviews – I rarely finish a book that I would give one or two stars (out of five), unless I’m reviewing it (with a free copy, which I feel sort of obligated). So the reviews I write on my own are generally of books I like. I don't mind giving a negative review if it's warranted. 

If you could read in a foreign language which would you choose – Spanish. I love magic realism.

Most intimidating book you've ever read – Name of the Rose. Next time, I’ll actually try to figure out the Latin.

Most intimidating book you're too nervous to begin – War and Peace

Favorite poet – Charles Williams

Favorite fictional character –  Mary Russell (Laurie R. King)

Books most likely to bring on vacation – whatever’s on my kindle

Name a book you could not finish- really, there’s no book I “could not finish.” Unless the last few pages are missing. There are books I choose not to finish, but that’s not the same thing. I chose not to finish Sandman by Neil Gaiman-- the combination of sex and violence makes my skin crawl and my stomach churn.
 
What distracts you when reading – TV, even if I don’t want it to.

Favorite film adaptation of a novel – got to be Lord of the Rings!

Most disappointing film adaptation – I hate reading books AFTER I’ve seen the movie. Don’t know why. And that’s not really answering this question. I guess I’d say I’ve never seen a really good version of The Scarlet Letter.

Most money spent at once in a bookstore – I rarely splurge. It was probably for some class! And that would be an online bookstore. I almost never visit or purchase from bricks and mortar bookstores.

How often do you skim a book before reading – I don’t—it’s reviews or cover blurb to get me started, then I read it.

Do you like to keep your books organized – um yes. I’m a librarian. However, it’s not in Dewey or LC order, and no one can understand it but me.

Do you prefer to keep books or give them away – I keep books I think I might read again. Ha ha.

Any books you've been avoiding? – I recently finished Wind in the Willows, which I had avoided for a long time. I can’t think of any others. Maybe War and Peace which is on my kindle, but hasn’t been opened…
 
Name a book that made you angry – On the Road

Book you didn't expect to like but did – Wind in the Willows, Woman in White

A book you expected to like but didn't –  On the Road, The Road

No comments:

Post a Comment