Friday, November 9, 2012

Book Review: City of Falling Angels


Author: John Berendt
Title: City of Falling Angels
Description: This book was my choice for this month for our book group. I had read Berendt’s Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, his book about Savannah. This book is about Venice.  
Source: The nice folks at Penguin
Writing style: Berendt has a unique style. He writes about places, but he really mostly writes about the people who make places unique. I felt like his book on Savannah got off track when it became more about the murder than the city. This book doesn’t fall into that trap. Berendt still writes about the interesting people who give Venice its character, but he doesn’t let any of them run away with the book.
Audience: People who enjoy reading about places or literary nonfiction.
Wrap-up: I really enjoyed this book. No one does this Berendt thing in quite the same way as Berendt does, so it makes his books (he has only written these two) special. It didn’t make me fall in love with Venice, but it did make me wish I had the skill that Berendt does to pry peoples’ interesting stories out of them. 5/5*

No comments:

Post a Comment