Monday, April 11, 2011

Paradise Dogs: Worth a Read!

This was a Library Thing Early Reviewers copy.  From back cover: Adam Newman yearns to reunite with his estranged wife and recapture the edenic life they once had running their legendary hot dog restaurant.  In the meantime, our delusional protagonist--who has a knack for assuming others' identities--delivers a stranger's baby, saves a couple's marriage, talks himself out of a ticket but into Chattahoochee, and attempts to foil a conspiracy in which shadowy forces are buying up land to block the construction of the Cross Florida Barge Canal.

The author is Man Martin.  This is his second novel; the first, Days of the Endless Corvette won Georgia author of the year in 2008.  I haven't read of it, nor had I heard of him before I received this book.  I chose it mostly for its Florida setting.

That said, this book was so funny that it made me laugh out loud (a rarity) and actually snort a couple of times.  I also kept imagining the film it will make.  Imagine Clouseau in Florida.  As a Floridian, I have a soft spot for Florida literature (even when written by a Georgian), but I hope non-Floridians will pick it up.  Adam, the bumbling hero, has nothing going for him, but you root for him anyway. 5*

No comments:

Post a Comment