Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Book Review: A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty

Title: A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty
Description:  When Big decides to uproot the beloved willow tree behind the house, the small box that is unearthed sets in motion a series of events that rocks the whole household—Big herself, the strong matriarch, Liza, Big’s daughter, who recently suffered a stroke and has lost the ability to communicate, and Mosey, Liza’s fifteen year-old daughter. Each of them takes a different approach to tying together the past and the present, eventually turning up blackmail, drugs, and a couple of old love affairs.
Review source: Netgalley
Plot: Jackson had me captivated from the first sentence. This was the first book in a long while that I couldn’t stand to put down and couldn’t stand to finish. I would literally sit at work and pine for it, waiting until I could get home and read some more.
Characters: The three main characters, Big, Liza, and Mosey, are wonderfully fleshed out. Liza seems the most problematic, since she is so severely limited by her physical handicap, but Jackson lets the reader know what is going on in her mind. Big and Mosey are both sympathetic and smart.
Writing style: I thought this might be magic realism when I started reading it, but it turned out not to be, though the style was like that. There is this sort of tale-weaving that goes on in magical realism that is just spellbinding, and this book had that same feel.
Audience: I would think that those who enjoy chick lit and those who enjoy cozy mysteries would both enjoy this book.
Wrap-up: It’s hardest for me to review books I love because I’m just so tempted to break out into song. Imagine, if you will, angel choirs singing about how fun this book is to read.  5/5*

I'm claiming this book for the new author challenge (8/15).

No comments:

Post a Comment