Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: The Tao of Pooh

Author: Benjamin Hoff  
Title: The Tao of Pooh
Description: The book uses characters from Winnie the Pooh to explain principles of Taoism.
Writing style:  The real enchantment of the book is that it borrows from Milne’s originals. If it has been awhile since you read Pooh, you’ll no doubt be delighted and surprised at Milne’s wit. When Hoff tries to write in the same style, it falls a little flat for me.
Audience: People interested in Taoism. I read it because I received the book for free and it was a quick read.
Major ideas: I’ll say right off the bat that I don’t know that much about Taoism, so I don’t know the extent to which Hoff is faithful to its orthodoxy, if there is such a thing. Taoism seems to be mainly about doing nothing and letting events “flow” around you. The author himself seems to have difficulty with this concept.
Wrap-up: There are obvious benefits to a lot of the philosophies Hoff advocates here; I’m not sure you need to be Taoist to believe them (cf. Paul: I’ve learned whatever state I’m in to be content.) The selections from Milne are worth reading and almost make me want to go back and grab House at Pooh Corner. If my to-read list weren’t so long… 2.5/5*

I'm claiming this book for two reading challenges: the new author challenge (13/15) and the unread books challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment