Thursday, August 1, 2013

Review: The Giver

Author: Lois Lowry

Title: The Giver
Description: This is another book that I feel like I’m the last person in the world to read. If there is someone who hasn’t read it, though, it’s a Newbery Prize-winning (i.e. YA) book about a boy named Jonas who lives in a society where everything is well-regulated. Babies are born to birthmothers, then placed with families; every family gets one boy and one girl. When they are twelve, children are given their life’s calling, but Jonas’ doesn’t get what he expects on that day.  
Plot: For a YA book, the plot’s nicely done. That is, it’s not as complex as I’d expect in an adult book, but it works.
Characters: The two main characters are Jonas and the Giver; both are beautifully written.
Writing style: Lyrical, yet spare. I had lots of mental pictures as I read this book. And I was fascinated by the setup of the society. I would have loved to read more about it.
Audience: Anyone from about twelve and up.

Wrap-up: I shouldn’t have waited so long to read this one. I would have loved it as a kid (and I’m pretty sure it was around then, or pretty close). As it is, I still liked it very much. 5/5*

No comments:

Post a Comment