Sunday, April 8, 2012

Book Review: The Violence of Love

Author: Oscar Romero 
Title: The Violence of Love
Description: This book is a collection of short excerpts from Salvadoran bishop Romero’s writings and preaching.
Source: Free for kindle
Writing style: The book was difficult to read because it was excerpts. I find it difficult to read writing that doesn’t sustain thoughts at length and doesn’t really shape the narrative.
Audience: Those who are interested in liberation theology. I know a little about it, but hadn’t read any. I feel like this book was an introduction to it, but again, not an organized one as such.
Major ideas: The Church exists to bring about God’s kingdom by proclaiming justice to the poor, and nothing should stop it. (For those who don’t know, Romero was martyred for his activism on behalf of the poor.)
Wrap-up: Romero’s words were powerful in many cases, and I highlighted many passages in this book. It’s tough to find a place for it, though. It’s not really what I would consider devotional, nor can you really read straight through it. I ended up reading bits at a time over several months.  3/5*

I'm claiming this book for three reading challenges: the new author challenge (19/15), the why buy the cow challenge, and the unread books challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment