Friday, July 20, 2012

My Favorite Reads: Books Based on Fairy Tales

Something I haven’t done for a while: a list post.

I love fairy tales, and fiction based on fairy tales in some of my favorite. Here are some of my five star reads that are at home in the world of fairy tales.  These are in no particular order; all of them have five stars from me.

The Door in the Hedge by Robin McKinley. Robin McKinley is probably my favorite writer who keeps coming back to the fairy tale genre. She’s very well known for her takes (yes, more than one) on the Beauty and the Beast story, so I picked this book of short stories which is less well known.

Shadow Castle by Marian Cockrell. This was my very favorite book as a kid. I’ve probably read it more than fifty times. Here’s the review from my most recent reading.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Maybe my single favorite fairy tale book. Some people were disappointed by the movie, but its soundtrack by Ilan Eshkeri is one of my very favorites.

The Rose and the Beast by Francesca Lia Block. I reviewed this one a few months back, too.

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card. I was sort of surprised to come across this one by Orson Scott Card, but he makes nice use of the Russian setting to bring in the ultimate fairy tale baddie, Baba Yaga.

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke. I don’t count her better-known book Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell as a fairy tale, even though it is about fairy land. (I do love it better, too). But this book has short stories based on fairy tales and it still worth a read.

The Book of Lost Things by John Conolly. Sometimes the land of fairy tales is a scary and creepy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment