Sunday, June 3, 2012

Book Review: The Help

Author: Kathryn Stockett  
Title: The Help
Description: Come on. I know I’m the last person on the planet to read this book. You don’t really need the description, do you?
Plot: This book was one of the rare ones that had me obsessed; I was either reading it or thinking about reading it for the 4 or 5 days it took me to get through it. Several of the subsidiary plot lines had me consumed with wondering what would come next.
Characters: Beautifully done. The black characters speak in dialect, but it doesn’t come across in any way as patronizing.  I can’t think of any characters who aren’t spot on.
Writing style: Stockett uses the writing of a book as the main plotline of this book. The maids’ stories form subplots, as does the story of the author herself. The narration alternates between Skeeter, the young author, and two of the maids. The terror of the maids at possible ramifications of their actions in speaking to Skeeter, which defy race laws, is palpable.
Audience: The whole world?
Wrap-up: One of those books that actually lives up to its hype. 5/5* The movie is good too...

No comments:

Post a Comment