Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Review: The Man Who Was Thursday

Author: G.K. Chesterton  
Title: The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare
Description: A poet has the chance to join a secret group of anarchists who are not all that they seem.
Review source: This book is free on kindle as it is in the public domain.
Plot: As the subtitle insinuates, the plot is dreamlike, moving rapidly from place to place and idea to idea.
Characters: None of the characters seems to be very well-developed; this short novel is almost allegorical in function.
Writing style: There are surprising elements of humor that I didn’t expect. I’m still trying to wrap my head around everything that was going on.
Audience: Chesterton was one of C. S. Lewis’ favorite authors. There is noticeable similarity. Inklings fans should give him a read.
Wrap-up: This was my choice for this month’s book club read. I chose it mainly because I’ve heard of Chesterton often, but never read him; he is one of the most famous Christian authors who I hadn’t yet tried. I was surprised to find him so funny; some of the book was dated, but it was still thought-provoking. 4/5*

No comments:

Post a Comment