Saturday, June 9, 2012

Book Review: Quiet

Author: Susan Cain  
Title: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Won’t Stop Talking
Description : The United States, according to Cain, is the most extroverted nation on the planet, yet one-third to one-half of people are born introverts. Is it a character flaw to be introverted? Can one succeed in spite of this in-born handicap?
Source: This is my book group’s selection for April.
Writing style: You can tell the book was written by an introvert. It’s not flashy, chatty, or fast-paced. It is thoughtful, in-depth, and reflective.
Audience: The primary audience would be introverts, but there is plenty here for those who identify as extroverts, and even for those who haven’t really thought about it (btw, I would say that means you are an extrovert).
Major ideas: Cain points out that in our extroverted American society, introversion can often be seen as a character flaw, but it is not; it is merely the opposite side of the extrovert/introvert coin. While giving tips on how to cope better in an extroverted world, Cain maintains that introverts have much to offer by staying true to their introverted predilections for deep thought and quieter, more reflective thinking habits.  
Wrap-up: So I’m one of the most introverted people I know, which isn’t saying much, since I don’t know that many people (remember, I’m an introvert). The best thing about the book, and well worth the purchase price (yes, I actually bought this book, a rarity for me!) is that it reaffirmed my introverted qualities. Expect to see much less of me in the future. 4/5*

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read this one! Definitely a book to appeal to introverts. Too bad it is perceived as a handicap in U.S. culture. Can't tell you how many times a nice quiet reading opportunity has been interrupted by extroverts trying to include me in some activity in order to encourage the "poor shy person" out of her shell. Well intentioned people who have utterly misinterpreted! I'm the furthest thing from shy; I'm just quiet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She discusses that in the book, the difference between quiet/introverted and shy. And we actually have a shy extrovert in our book group!

    ReplyDelete